Earlier this month, Blue Badge Style awarded its BLADES to recognise stylish venues which have made an effort to attract guests with disabilities. The awards aim to raise the profile of these places, encourage good practice in the industry and invite people with disabilities to get out and use the stylish facilities.
The most coveted award of the evening is Best Loo! This year the community project, Brook Green Pavilion were awarded the Best Loo BLADE for their beautiful and innovative toilet designed by Motionspot.
The design originated from a very clear brief from the community at Brook Green; the pavilion was to be fully accessible for all and in particular, they wanted a beautiful accessible toilet which would match the same quality of the rest of the building and could be used by everyone.
Motionspot worked closely with the pavilion’s architect De Rosee Sa to make sure that the high level of finish and materials used throughout the building continued through to the accessible toilet. Included were universally accessible products including a baby changing station, stylish chrome grab rails and a raised height toilet with easy-to-use flush to ensure ease of access for everyone, from wheelchairs users to parents with pushchairs.
The founder of the awards, Fiona Jarvis, commented: ‘The Brook Green community made a huge effort to include a stylish, disabled loo in this public pavilion. We love this level of effort! One of the enduring issues with disabled loos is that the emergency cord is often tied up, making it useless for its intended purpose. Brooke Green had the problem solved through Motionspot’s innovative call alarm system.’
Motionspot installed their push-button emergency Spot Call Alarm. Placed next to the toilet it offers ease of use and security for any person using the toilet, but cuts down on the number of accidental alarms being triggered.
Founder and Managing Director of Motionspot, Ed Warner explains: ‘We believe in the importance of universal design. Facilities can be transformed into beautifully designed, accessible bathrooms that can work for everyone.’
Motionspot and Brook Green are proud winners alongside:
- Blue Badge Style BEST LOO - Brook Green Pavilion, London designed by Motonspot
- Blue Badge Style BEST BAR – BUDGET - Pergola, Paddington Central, London
- Blue Badge Style BEST BAR – UPMARKET - Dandelyan at The Mondrian
- Blue Badge Style BEST RESTAURANT – BUDGET - Bryn Williams, Porth Eirias, Wales
- Blue Badge Style BEST RESTAURANT – UPMARKET - M, Victoria St, London
- Blue Badge Style BEST BOUTIQUE HOTEL/RESORT - Zetter Townhouse, Marylebone, London
- Blue Badge Style BEST UPMARKET HOTEL - Beaumont Hotel, Mayfair, London
- Blue Badge Style BEST EUROPEAN VENUE - Ritz Carlton, Wolfsburg, Germany
- Blue Badge Style BEST LISTED BUILDING - Dorsett, Shepherds Bush, London
- Blue Badge Style ABOVE & BEYOND – No.10 Downing Street
Copy reproduced with thanks to Kate Warwick at PR & Word Savvy
Get in touch.
Our team is always happy to discuss your requirements and provide a scope and fee proposal for your project. Get in touch to chat through your plans with us.
Start a conversation
Get in touch to chat through your plans or requirements and see how we can help. Please complete your contact details below.Contact us
Sign up to receive the latest inclusive design insight and inspiration from our team.